In present times, having an online store is one of the best ways for launching/ selling products and having a flourishing business. However, with so many eCommerce platforms, it becomes difficult to choose the right one that is best suited for a particular business.
A single ecommerce platform does not work for every store. For example, an author who is selling his/her debut novel will not need the same platform as needed by a bookstore selling several books.
Here are the ecommerce platform recommendations based on the number of products that one has to sell –
For single products:
Gumroad is an e-commerce platform, empowering musicians, artists, writers and other creative people to sell their products online directly to customers. The features include –
- Selling subscriptions, digital downloads, pre-orders and physical goods online
- Sales and audience growth are visible on the dashboard
- Option of sending email updates to customers
- Option of PDF stamping in products to prevent piracy
- Audience building tools to help grow the customer base
- Individuals can sell their work directly to their fans
- No requirement of setting up a shopping cart, which is helpful when it involves one or two products
- A full-fledged e-commerce store may involve linking multiple apps together to ensure user engagement and selling of the products. This may involve a high cost when you have only one or two products to sell. Gumroad makes sure to put all of this together at a cheap rate, making it the ideal platform to sell single products.
For a few hundred products:
For a Small Medium Enterprise or for selling a few hundred products, WooCommerce is one of the best options. Its features include –
- Fast and easy to set up
- Simple and lightweight
- Extensible and highly configurable
- Can be updated for free
- One can easily install WooCommerce with a WordPress site with a domain at a cheaper rate
- Provides features such as product catalogues, shopping cart, online payments, coupons, etc. All of these features come free as a part of the plugin.
- Money-saving option. WooCommerce is more like a Do-It-Yourself option for small businesses, where one gets to build and customize their own site.
When the product catalogue is a straightforward and limited one, WooCommerce works fine. Complex and variable products need a lot of customization and for these WooCommerce is not a good option. There are a lot of WooCommerce Plugins for ECommerce store which might ease your job of optimizing the store. Know more about our WooCommerce development services.
For large number of products
Shopify has been an ecommerce platform for several years and is quite easy to set up. It hosts more than 325,000 active online shops, making it one of the most used e-commerce platforms. The benefits include –
- More than 100 theme options
- 1500+ extensions/plugins available for increasing functionality of the store
- Online store can be connected with the Facebook page and products can be sold directly on Facebook
- In-built shopping cart that is mobile friendly
- 24/7 support
- Very simple to set up
- The dashboard area is handy, where one can quickly add products
- Allows importing products from a previous store
- Convenient way to add a product, with individual fields for description, title, price, etc
- Once the product is added to the backend, it gets added to the right places in the front end. Products are listed in the right category and show up in the search results – making it ideal if one is selling multiple products. In fact, one can add unlimited products to the Shopify store. Know more about Shopify development.
There are a lot of ecommerce platforms available that one can use for selling products. However, choosing the ideal one for your business is a sort of an investment, both in terms of money and time. To know more about ecommerce development platforms and how to choose the right one for your business, leave us a message and we will get back to you!